Send me an email

Send me an email: brentpurvis@gmail.com


Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Three Lessons Learned this Summer


#1 – The Shovel is an amazing tool (aka – don’t forget to ask for help, dummy)

This summer, I dug a very big hole.  Well, a trench is more like it.  It was 150 feet long, four feet tall and three feet wide.  I dug it out, one shovel full at a time.  My neighbors thought that I was putting in a moat.  A moat certainly would be cool (I’m sure my kids and dog would love it), but the real purpose of the trench was to replace a struggling retaining wall.  As dirt piled high above my backyard grass, hours turned into days, and days into weeks.  People would often stop on the street and gawk as I threw rocky fill over my shoulder.  As the massive excavation finally came to a close, I stood above the scene, admiring that my backyard resembled a warzone.  Feeling proud of the muscles that I had developed and confident that my man-made trench would surely impress, I displayed my new gully to various friends that stopped by for the standard inspection.
Friend, “Nice trench.”
Me, smiling proud, “Thanks! Two months of digging.”
Friend, “That’s a lot of digging.”
Me, still proud, “It’s amazing what one can do with a simple shovel.”
Friend, “You know, I could have come over with my backhoe and we could have pounded that out in an afternoon.”
Me, balloon completely deflated, “Oh…  I, uh…  uh…  Thanks.”  

#2 – Don’t Take My Son Fishing

I take pride in the fact that both my ten-year-old daughter, Ella, and my twelve-year-old son, Sam, can work a fishing pole better than most of my adult friends.  They have grown up casting Rooster Tails in the calm lakes of Northeastern Washington, dropping walleye jigs in the deep water of the Columbia, and have even landed their share of salmon and cod in the icy waters of Alaska.  As cool as these experiences have been to share between father and child, I believe that it is now time to release my son to his own fishing devices.  No longer will I bait his hook, clean his catch, or untangle his rats-nest.  That’s what he gets for out-fishing his father. 
Catch record stats from a recent fishing excursion with Sam, Nick and I:
Sam – 7 walleye (one so big, it broke the pole), 1 rainbow trout, 1 pike
Nick – 1 walleye
Me – Nothing
It got to the point that every time my son yelled, “Fish On!" I cursed a little.  My friend, Nick, contemplated pushing Sam into the river. 
From this moment on, my son is on his own.  Let’s see him out-fish me now, as he scrambles to master his fishing knots, unhook his snagged line, and climb up onto shore after being shoved into the water. 

#3 – Drive, Don’t Fly

I only needed to go to Portland, Oregon.  From my house, that’s about a seven hour drive - No big deal, right?  But after finding a plane ticket out of Spokane that was cheaper than three tanks of gas, I figured, “what the heck.”  I would fly in on the early plane and be dropping the crab pots on the coast by 9am.  Since it was such an early flight out on Thursday, I decided to drive down to Deer Park the night before to stay with my in-laws in order to save an hour of morning sleep.
10pm Thursday – text from the airlines “Your 6am flight has been canceled.  You are rescheduled on the noon plane.”  Crap!  Well, there goes the morning crabbing trip.
10am Friday – I was in the Spokane area with time to kill.  I stop at my favorite cigar shop and splurge.  I buy one really nice, really expensive, hand rolled Maduro.  What the heck – I’m on vacation, right?
11:30am – At the airport trying to get my new boarding pass, the ticket agent informs me that my noon flight has been canceled, and I have been rescheduled on the 4pm plane.  Crap!
Noon – I am hungry.  With my truck already secured in the Park’n’Fly lot, my only lunch options are through security.  After being probed, I sit down and order a cheese and basil pizza.  It cost $11 and it was about four inches in diameter.  It tasted like a post-it note.  I was still hungry.  I like to eat vegetarian, but my options were limited.  I ordered boneless hot wings.  There were six small ones and they tasted like croutons doused in Tabasco.  With tip, I spent $30 on the worst lunch in recent memory.  Crap!
1:30pm – I am bored.  My hand rolled Maduro comes to mind.  I could easily kill an hour enjoying that bad-boy.  Back out through security and across the main drive.  I find a bench seat out of the way and extract my expensive cigar.  After unwrapping it and biting off the end, I realize, due to airport security, I don’t have any matches.  Feeling like a common street thug, I walk up to strangers asking, “Do you have a light?”  Several rejections and a few nervous parents later, I bum a lighter off of an off-duty stewardess.  A sudden increase in wind velocity made cigar ignition a little challenging, but darn it, I got that expensive smoke lit.  Three puffs into it, I see the thunderstorm closing in fast. 
Crap!

Mink Island is available as a download at:
Amazon                        http://bit.ly/MinkIslandAmazon
Barnes & Noble            http://bit.ly/BNminkisland
Smashwords                http://bit.ly/minksmash
Also on iBooks, Kobo and Oyster

No comments:

Post a Comment